It is one of the easiest fish dish to make. You can try it as an appetizer or serve with the main course. Learn how to make Masala Pomfret by chef Afraz Shaikh only on
- PREP TIME 10 MINS
- COOKING TIME 15 MINS
- SERVES 2
- 2 fresh pomfrets (600 grams each)
- Salt to taste
- Crushed black peppercorns to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp red chilli paste
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves paste
- 1 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 1/2 teaspoon clovepowder
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 medium onion, cut into rings
- lemon, cut into wedges
1. Make one centimeter deep slits on either side of the pomfrets. Apply salt, crushed black peppercorns, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and set aside to marinate for fifteen minutes."
2. Prepare another marinade with two tablespoons olive oil, garlic paste, red chilli paste, fresh coriander leaves paste, tamarind pulp, clove powder and a pinch of salt. Apply this on the pomfrets on all sides. Set aside for another fifteen minutes."
3. Heat a tawa. Roll each pomfret in rice flour and place on the tawa. Drizzle some olive oil all round the fish and cook for two to three minutes. When the underside is golden flip over, drizzle some more olive oil all round and cook till the other side is evenly golden."
4. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with onion rings and lemon wedges. "
- Hold the fish by the tail and gently slide it into the oil. Letting go the whole fish along the side of the pan as close to its surface as possible will produce least amount of oil splash.
- Keep the flame in medium heat for frying the fish better and to get a crispy pomfret fry.
- Wrapping the fish with a piece of banana leaf would prevent the fish from absorbing a lot of oil. You could brush the banana leaf with few drops of oil so that it does not get stick to the fish while frying.
- Clean the oil splatters off your stove as soon as possible. Heat dries the oil into varnish which becomes more difficult to remove with each passing hour.
- Adding curry leaves to the oil before sliding the fish inside the frying pan would help the dish to have a nice aroma of the curry leaves and it’s healthy too.