Learn how to make Chicken Lollipop a popular and delicious chicken starter recipe
- PREP TIME 10 MINS
- COOKING TIME 15 MINS
- SERVES 4-5
- 8 whole chicken wings
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli paste
- 1/4 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Pinch of white pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup refined flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- Oil for deep frying
Clean and wash the chicken wings. Cut off the wingtips, remove the thin bone and pull the flesh to one end of the thick bone to make a ‘lollipop’."
To make the marinade, put the garlic paste, one teaspoon red chilli paste, soy sauce, vinegar, white pepper powder and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Add the chicken wings, mix well and keep the bowl in the refrigerator to marinate for two hours."
Meanwhile, mix refined flour, cornstarch, egg, remaining red chilli paste and salt in another bowl. Whisk thoroughly, with some water if required, to make a thick batter of pouring consistency. Rest the batter for fifteen to twenty minutes."
Heat oil in a wok, dip the marinated wings in the batter and deep-fry on moderate heat, turning them over frequently, for three to four minutes, or until crisp and golden brown."
Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot with Sichuan sauce."
- Chicken wings made into lollipops are available in supermarkets, or ask your butcher to make them for you.
- Marinate the chicken wings / drummettes in yogurt as it really helps to yield soft and tender chicken when fried or grilled. Keep the mix covered for about 2-3 hours for better results.
- Ensure that you peel off the skin of the chicken wings / drummettes before margination.